g -->
The 2010 playlist:

1.) 2010 intro
Just a minute! Taking inspiration from Elliot Lawrence's amazing album (of which "Jingle Bells" is used), my family and I greet you at the door.

2.) The Aussie Singers - Merry Christmas Land

This was one of the first songs I listened to searching my Christmas music collection back in August. The tune has been stuck inside my head ever since. When my children overheard it, they began singing it around the house for months. So why should I suffer alone? Here it is - MERRY CHRISTMAS!

3.) The De John Singers - That's How Santa Claus Will Look This Year
Found this 45 single on eBay earlier this year. Another song the kids overheard and fell in love with so it was paired with their other favorite.

4.) Excerpt from "The Lemon Drop Kid" / Stuck In The Chimney Again
A quick snippet with Bob Hope & William "Fred Mertz" Frawley leads into Darius Holbert's short Christmas song.

5.)
Linnzi Zaorski - Shimmy On Down My Chimney
My friend Stubby included this one on one of his amazing comps last year which prompted me to visit CDBaby to purchase the entire album. Isn't that what Christmas is all about?

6.) Johnny Long & His Orchestra - Jingle Bells (Vocal by Francey Lane and the Ensemble)
Purchased at a flea market many moons ago but unable to transfer since my old turntable didn't do 78s, this hip 1947 version of this song transferred easy on the new turntable.


7.) Jimmy Fallon & The Roots - Xmas Medley (Live at Macy's Thanksgiving Parade 2009)
You never know what you'll see at a Macy's Thanksgiving Parade (with the exception of Santa Claus at the end). So when a giant Gibson guitar drove down the street with Jimmy and the Roots, I knew we were in store for something cool.

8.) Aimee Mann - I'll Be Home For Christmas
This has quickly become my favorite version of this song. Partly because of Aimee, partly because of the song's intro that Aimee chose to sing that other artists delete.

9.)
Pink Martini - Do You Hear What I Hear?
When I saw their amazing PBS special, I was hooked. Since then, I've been patiently waiting for a December when they would release a Christmas album. It happened this year - it's a fantastic album that you should go get for yourself.

10.) Thomas M. Lauderdale - Holiday Table Decoration Demonstration
Taken from a YouTube video. This guy definitely knows his stuff decking out a table! And I hear he plays a pretty good piano.

11.)
Max Raabe & Palast Orchester - O Tannenbaum
My friend Mark Handy asked if I had heard about this band's Christmas album. I checked my master spreadsheet, found a single MP3, I listened, I was hooked, and the album was purchased the next day. Great suggestion Mark!

12.) Herman Apple Ses Carillons Et Ses Percussions - Le Bonhomme De Neige (Frosty The Snowman)
The perfect follow up to Max & Palast Orchester. And if you haven't listened to this Herman Apple album, click on the link and check it out!

13.) Excerpt from the "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations" Holiday Special
In a single paragraph of text, Anthony encapsulates the essence of his Christmas episode. Simply brilliant.

14.)
Vic Barrel - White Christmas
Found an old scratchy copy near the public turntable at Beverly Records in Chicago. The 45 held up long enough for me to listen (which convinced me to buy it). Thankfully, I found a DJ copy on eBay in exceptional condition for the transfer. One of my best finds of the year.

15.)
The J's with Jamie - The Christmas Song
When this appeared on eBay earlier this year, I figured I had no chance. WFMU alerted everyone to the existence of The J's in 2008 and it immediately went to the top of many collector's lists. Somehow, I won this rather cheaply and their version of Nat's perennial favorite landed here.

16.) Excerpt from ''
Miracle On 34th Street'' (1947)
The answer to a question that has puzzled the world for centuries. With John Payne and Edmund O'Brien.

17.)
Little Cori - An Oscar To Santa
Found this at a record show here in Fort Wayne. Puzzling song since they already gave an Academy Award to Santa (see #16 above). Click on the link to see the baffling picture sleeve.

18.)
Lynn Carroll & Jeff Palmer Orchestra - Piney, The Tiny Little Christmas Tree
While we're on the subject of baffling, this 45 discovery tells us the strange story of yet another fictional Christmas character featuring a great Chubby Checker twist beat!

19.)
STS-116 Discovery wake-up call (12-22-06)
This might have been the final Christmas wake-up call from space (only three Space Shuttle missions left). However, the November 2010 mission was pushed back to a luanch date of December 17, 2010 - the final NASA Christmas for a long time.

20.)
The Gus De Wert Trio (with Gay LaComb) - Space Age Santa Claus
A record I was excited to find at a record show in Ohio. This one has floated around cyberspace for a long time with Jeannie Jay listed as the singer. Jay was the credited singer on side two ("When Christmas Bells Are Ringing"). Hope this clears up any confusion.

21.)
Lawrence Welk's Little Band - Outer Space Santa
Another great space-related song that has floated around the web. The perfect follow-up to Gus and Gay.

22.) Excerpt from ''
Hot Rods To Hell''
This 1967 MGM film (a roadtripping family is hounded by hot-rodders) is one of the most unintentionally funny movies of all time thanks in large part to dependable Dana Andrews. So bad, it's a scream. For my friend Scott Marks out in SD.

23.)
Prairie Oyster - Christmas In Jail
Originally recorded by The Youngsters in 1956. That version was scheduled to be here until I found this countrified Canadian version that adds its own charm to the song.

24.) Kelly Willis & Bruce Robison - Please Daddy Don't Get Drunk This Christmas
I was never a fan of this song when sung by John Denver. That changed when I heard this version. My kids captured this one for their own as well - I gotta keep them out of the room when I'm listening.

25.) The Wise Men - Grandma Wants Peace / Excerpt from ''The FPT Christmas Revue''
Another great quick Christmas tune from Suburban Sprawl tacked on the front of a moment from the revue I helped to stage last Christmas. You had to be there to understand.

26.)
Joel Grey - I'm Gonna Put Some Glue Round The Christmas Tree
Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome - yeah, that Joel Grey! This song was included in the "FPT Revue" and I was planning on using the Peggy King / Mitch Miller version here until I found this 45 on eBay. Must be heard to be believed.

27.) Carole Harmon - Merry Christmas, My Love, To You
I found several copies of this 45 at a thrift store years ago. This simple, obscure song was cut from the "Revue" due to time (Korean War). Its message is meaningful this year because two special people moved to...

28.) Steve Goodman - Colorado Christmas
Goodman wrote "City of New Orleans" for Arlo Guthrie and this Christmas song for the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. This song was released posthumously (Steve died of leukemia in 1984) and it's a fitting song for Sam and Maya. Soon Joel :(

29.) Excerpt from "Moonlighting"
David and Maddie in yet another debate - this one surrounding Christmas. I wish TVLand would rerun this show again.

30.) Rhoda Scott - Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow
The Barefoot Contessa spins out her great rendition of this Christmas classic. I reviewed her full Christmas album an eternity ago - take a read to learn more about Rhoda.

31.) Vic20 - A Marshmallow World
I love this song but I didn't want a typical version, hence Vic20. I figured if by chance someone had drifted off to sleep while listening to this, this song would be an appropriate wake-up call.

32.) Darius Holbert - Gonna Kick Santa's A@@ (Radio edit)
The third and last quick Christmas tune from Suburban Sprawl. Why use a sound clip when a song will do?

33.) Sunshine Ruby - I Wanna Do Something For Santa Claus
This lovely little song was slated to be on the Christmas CD in 2005, 2007, and 2008 but missed the final cut. It finally won a spot on the disc.

34.) Eddy Arnold - I'm Your Private Santa Claus
This rare single as well as Sunshine Ruby were rescued from obscurity by that online Christmas raconteur Ernie (not Bert). This guy never sleeps - thanks for the last two tracks Ern!

35.) Excerpt from ''The BRAT's Holiday Skank (BRAT Holiday Mix)''
I was determined not to use Christmas mash-ups this year. Nothing was said about using remixes. BRAT Productions has been doing great holiday mastermixes since 1994 - this is an excerpt from the 1998 mix.

36.) Alexkid & DJ Seep - Santa Baby (Remix)
A great remix from the "A Very Bootie Christmas 2" mash-up CD - remember, it's NOT a mash-up, merely a remix. Well within my parameters.

37.) BRAT Productions - The BRAT Sings Christmas Shadow (BRAT Holiday Mix)
I rediscovered BRAT's website where a long time ago, I was able to capture the audio from my sound card - not the greatest sound but it was better than installing QuickTunes on the computer. MP3s await...

38.) David Hill (with Ray Martin & His Orchestra) - Christmas In Your Heart
A record show find, this forgotten 45 perfectly encapsulates how I feel about the Christmas spirit. What a world this would be if we heed this song's advice.

39.) 1923 WurliTzer 146A Band Organ - Silent Night
Maybe not the most elegant, regal, or reverent version of "Silent Night". But the melody takes over and somewhere along the way, you're not minding listening to calliope music.

40.) 2010 outro
That's all folks...


Please leave your comments at the study guide page - please remember, none of these comps will be posted here in their entirety or made available online or off.