g -->
To use a familiar quote: "Opportunity knocks, but doesn't always answer to its name." In this case, thy name is Martin Johns.

For some time, I've been trying to find a comp that would not only showcase its music but also its dynamic artwork / liner notes that Martin puts just as much energy into creating.

I wasn't sure if I'd find the right comp until this this 2-CD set came along. It's the second double disc set that Martin had sent to me; the first being the "Holiday Festival Of Music".

This set also came without a track listing - Martin had printed extensive liner notes with the year of release and web links of each song - what I've been doing all along in my track reviews!

Therefore, there's not much to type any more (cue the wild cheering and enthusiastic applause). Here is Martin's special insight about this comp... better known as...

STUBBY SPEAKS:

Free Internet Downloads! It started innocently enough. Mistletunes posted a link to the J. Geils download. Dr. Jim pointed me to Poco. I found Roger McGuinn. Then I thought, "let's see what else is out there." What I found was the cutting edge of the modern Indie scene, podcasts, mp3 blogs, and free Internet downloads.

Like the Sharity community, every place you land leads you to ten more sites. By the end of February 2006, I'd downloaded over 30 CDs of Christmas songs, almost all of which were licensed by Creative Commons (legal to download, copy and share). Some of it was godawful, of course, but the vast majority was wonderful.

I wanted to comp this segment of the Indie scene and soon had a 2 CD demo prepared. At a loss for graphics, I reached out to one of my "subscribers" (Kathy Adamchak) who I know to be very talented, gave her the general idea, and she readily agreed to help out. It's the only time I've done that, but I'd certainly like to use more original artwork in the future (anybody out there feeling creative?).

Few changes were made from the original demo, though I stumbled upon "Christmas Rhapsody" just as I was getting ready to run the CD off, and I had to make some adjustments.

DISC ONE TRACK REVIEW:

(Click on any image to enlarge)


DISC TWO TRACK REVIEW:

(Click on any image to enlarge)


I am CaptainOT and I approve of this 2-CD set! I can't add anything else to it - Martin's done it all on this one!

My keyboard thanks you profusely Martin!


UP NEXT: JohnsCDs 2006-0263-011 - So Much Vinyl, So Little Time 'Til Christmas


Capt